Every year about this time my Facebook timeline is filled with graphics about saying Merry Christmas, stories about people who said it and lost their jobs, or how the Government doesn’t have the right to prevent us from doing so.
People are suddenly suspicious when someone opts for “Happy Holidays” (even though this term has been used for decades and no one ever blinked an eye until now).
I understand people’s fury over being ostracized for choosing to use a greeting that includes Christ’s name.
Yet, I find it curious that Americans everywhere are furious – and even go so far as to say they are being persecuted – because they are told to reject this greeting when there are other areas of God’s law that are all but completely ignored.
Just to point out a few:
* Many Christians have no issue with using God’s name in vain. Some think they get away with OM__, using Jesus Christ’s or the Lord’s names. But God’s Word says if you use His holy name in vain you will not go unpunished.
* Many Christians actually think it is okay to swear occasionally for emphasis. Or at the very least excuse themselves when they occasionally speak in “French”. And yet God’s Word commands us to put away “all…filthy speech”.
* Many Christians spend oodles of time watching movies or TV shows that mock God, abuse His name, show nakedness, speak filthy language, depict explicit violence, portray witchcraft, and promote alternative lifestyles — all of which are sin, some of which are abominations unto God, and all of which nailed His precious Son to the cross.
* Many Christians practice the things Paul listed above, with only the slightest of uneasiness.
* Many have accepted humanistic and New Age doctrines and entertain themselves with books and music that not only do not glorify God, but are also filled with those things that anger Him. (See Psalms 1)
* Many Christians fail to do those things we are commanded to do: such as assemble with the brethren or give of our tithes and offerings.
* Many Christians have no control over their tongues, which spread gossip, lies, and slander – which over and over in God’s Word have been called abominations…in other words, things that God really hates.
* Many Christians do not so much as open their Bibles or pray during the week.
And yet they are willing to take a stand and make a sacrifice to say “Merry Christmas”.
We want to be free to say Christ’s name, and yet we fail to show Him love and honor through our daily lives.
Jesus called this straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel. And as He said in the verse before that, these ought we to have done, without leaving the other undone!
God said to Saul, “To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams.”
So while I am all for saying Merry Christmas, I am much more concerned with these other matters – because when I stand before God’s throne, He will not be as concerned with whether I said Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays as much as He will be concerned with whether I kept His law.
Latest posts by Rosilind (see all)
- 3 Things You Need To Know About Failure - January 23, 2017
- Failure Is Not Your Identity – Free Inspirational Wall Art - January 20, 2017
- The Ephesians Experience - January 16, 2017