I’ve been waiting for months to do this series.
Fact is, I wanted to do it in January, but who’s ever heard of “Winter Cleaning”?
I love organizing my home, but we have a unique situation where we are living in a home that we are in the process of renovating. This means that it is far from perfect, many things do not have a “home”, and this makes me crazy.
I am just OCD enough that I have meltdowns at least once a week because the clutter and over-stuffed closets really don’t mesh with my desire for neatness.
This forces me to keep going back and tossing stuff out. It’s springtime now, so I’m ready to roll up my sleeves, reorganize drawers, closets and cupboards, rethink knick-nacks, and come to terms with that shirt that’s hung on the hanger for two years.
How about you?
I decided to start in the room that’s giving me the most trouble right now.
Spring Clean the bedrooms
Here are 3 tips to organizing your bedroom:
1. Throw it all on the bed. Start at the top and work down: grab everything from the shelves, tops of wardrobes, window sills, and bedside tables that don’t belong and toss them on the bed.
2. Take a hard look at your closet and drawers. If you haven’t worn it at least once in the past year, toss it on the bed. I know this is hard. Really hard. But be honest, if you avoid wearing it there must be a reason. Get rid of it. You wont miss it. And then you’ll have space for the things you really do love.
3. Get under the bed. The dust bunnies have surely snagged a few items and are holding them hostage in their den under there. Rescue them and toss them on the bed.
Now your bed is hopefully piled high with all kinds of stuff.
Go get one box and two bags – label them.
The box: Stuff that needs a home
Bag #1: Stuff that goes in the trash
Bag #2: Stuff that goes to charity
As you begin sorting the items on your bed, keep these three things in mind:
1. If you don’t really, really love it – leave it!
2. Don’t give anything to charity you wouldn’t give a friend. If it’s not good enough to give to a friend, throw it in bag #1.
3. If you put something in the box, give it a home. A real home. If you can’t find a home for it, toss it in one of the bags.
This is how you organize your bedroom. Stop back by next week to see which room we will attack next!
If you need to catch up on the other spring cleaning posts, go here
Here are more articles on organizing: