To this day the memory transports me to a place of wonder and magic, filling me with warmth and love, and a sense of anticipation overtakes me. For whatever reason, the tree that year was especially beautiful – all the lights, decorations, and tinsel – it was almost like Currier and Ives had come to life right in our family room, but even better – in Technicolor and 3-D. I sat next to the tree, playing with UNO cards, listening to the Christmas music that typically played 24/7 during that time of year, and just allowed that moment to fill my being with all its wonder and beauty. 30+ years later (and we are not really counting, are we? At Christmastime we are all children, anyhow. Right?) I not only recall that moment often, I relive it every time. The same emotions wash over me, the same wonder fills my being, be it June or December.
As I have reminisced back on my childhood and the number of special traditions we shared as a family it has filled me with such wonder and inspiration, remembering each magical moment and I am even more inspired to begin making new and special traditions with my husband and son. This year we’ve hung on to some older traditions: eating Italian food on Christmas Eve and reading the Christmas story before opening our gifts, and we’ve started a new “Jukic Family” tradition: opening up Christmas gifts Christmas morning.
- Rosilind, a Pacific Northwest native, is a missionary living in Croatia and married to her hero. Together they live in the country with their 2 active boys where she enjoys fruity candles and a hot cup of herbal tea on a blustery fall evening. She holds an Associates of Practical Theology and is passionate about discipling and encouraging women. Her passion for writing led her to author a number of books. She is the author of A Little R & R where she encourages women to find contentment in what God created them to be. She can also be found at these other places on a regular basis. You can follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google +.
- Christian Living2018.07.183 Ways to Respond When You’re Under Attack
- Christian Living2018.07.163 Reasons Why You Should Read the Bible Every Day
- War Room Resources2018.07.118 War Room Verses For When You Don’t Feel Good Enough
- Christian Living2018.07.046 Fundamental Things Christians Should Treasure