Yesterday I sat at my table doing my day 8 prayer challenge when all of a sudden pieces started to fall into place like a game of Tetris (remember that game….all children of the 90s?)
“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thessalonians 5:23
Christians often ask, “How can I know God’s will for my life?”
Paul answered it right there in that verse! We have a propensity to complicate the Christian life. We get hung up on whether or not we should be a missionary or have a career, whether or not this certain guy or girl is “the one”. We agonize over our calling.
But we need to remember this: Be faithful where are you are now and God will open doors that are in line with his will. Do you want to be an evangelist? Evangelize now, where you are…and perhaps God will open the door for you to do that full time. Do you want to be a missionary? Share the gospel now, where you are…and perhaps God will open the door for you to do that full time.
And this verse is perfectly in line with that: if as God’s hands and feet right here where He has placed us, and if we do these three things Paul has commanded us to do, we will be fulfilling God’s will for our life! In fact, I think that if we do these three things, our daily life itself will testify greatly to God’s love and grace before we ever open our mouths.
So, how do we fulfill God’s will for our lives?
Rejoice always. Joy is a choice, it isn’t a feeling and it isn’t circumstantial. It is the decision to do those things that produce joy in our lives.
Pray always. What would happen if instead of stressing and worrying we prayed. What if when we felt hurt we chose to pray until we felt our burden lifted.
Be thankful always.. We tend to compartmentalize our lives too much. Thanksgiving happens in November. On Facebook we daily list those things for which we’re thankful, but December – October we rant and complain. But Paul said that in everything we are to be thankful. In EVERYTHING. Even in the situation we have right now. Yep. Even now.
How would our lives be different if we lived this way?
Many of you know that I battle with Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome; which is directly tied to stress.
Sure, there are some kinds of stress we can’t control or avoid, but there are many kinds that we can. And I believe that God showed me in this verse that a significant amount of my recovery will occur when I begin fulfilling God’s will.
When I choose joy. When I choose to pray and not stress or worry. When I choose to daily be thankful and grateful in everything!
Download My Quiet Time Journal today, and take your quiet time to a new level!
- Rosilind, a Pacific Northwest native, is a missionary living in Croatia and married to her hero. Together they live in the country with their 2 active boys where she enjoys fruity candles and a hot cup of herbal tea on a blustery fall evening. She holds an Associates of Practical Theology and is passionate about discipling and encouraging women. Her passion for writing led her to author a number of books. She is the author of A Little R & R where she encourages women to find contentment in what God created them to be. She can also be found at these other places on a regular basis. You can follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google +.
- Christian Living2018.07.183 Ways to Respond When You’re Under Attack
- Christian Living2018.07.163 Reasons Why You Should Read the Bible Every Day
- War Room Resources2018.07.118 War Room Verses For When You Don’t Feel Good Enough
- Christian Living2018.07.046 Fundamental Things Christians Should Treasure