Have you ever thought you were the only one who had trouble staying awake during your prayer time?
Well, let not your heart be troubled, my friend. When I surveyed my readers earlier this year the overwhelming majority of them said that one of the biggest challenges they faced in prayer was staying awake.
Right up there with being distracted.
And do you know what?
So did I! I had trouble with the same thing!!
If my mind wasn’t wandering then my eyelids were shutting!
But I’ve found a solution that I want to share with you today. It is a very simple solution that will help your mind stay focused and alert.
If you are like me…or how I used to be…my alarm would go off in the early morning hours and I’d slowly climb out of bed and wander into the kitchen where I’d start the water for my tea.
I’d lumber into the living room and grab my Bible and sit down at the table.
I’d sit there for a good hour or so….reading, praying, and then working.
And this is where I discovered my problem lie.
I would get up from bed and then sit right back down for at least a hour, if not longer. My metabolism didn’t have a chance to kick in until at least 8am….sometimes 9 or 10am.
No wonder why I had trouble concentrating!
So, I made a change to my schedule.
Instead of getting up and plopping myself down at the table, I got up, put on some lively music and started jogging. I jogged for at least 30-40 minutes and rather than sit down and pray, I paced around the room praying as my cool down. Then I sat down at the table to read my Bible.
By the time I got to prayer, my metabolism was revved up, blood was flowing to my brain, my oxygen levels had increased, and I had no trouble concentrating or staying awake.
This one simple change helped me so much.
But it didn’t just help my prayer time, it helped my whole day.
I challenge you, if you’re having trouble concentrating or staying awake while you pray, start your day with some physical exercise first and then move into your quiet time.
You can even make this a part of your quiet time by turning on a lively praise and worship CD for exercise, or create a YouTube playlist.
Do you have a tip for staying awake and increased concentration? Why not comment below and share it with us!
Download My Quiet Time Journal today, and take your quiet time to a new level!
- Rosilind, a Pacific Northwest native, is a missionary living in Croatia and married to her hero. Together they live in the country with their 2 active boys where she enjoys fruity candles and a hot cup of herbal tea on a blustery fall evening. She holds an Associates of Practical Theology and is passionate about discipling and encouraging women. Her passion for writing led her to author a number of books. She is the author of A Little R & R where she encourages women to find contentment in what God created them to be. She can also be found at these other places on a regular basis. You can follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google +.
- Christian Living2018.07.163 Reasons Why You Should Read the Bible Every Day
- War Room Resources2018.07.118 War Room Verses For When You Don’t Feel Good Enough
- Christian Living2018.07.046 Fundamental Things Christians Should Treasure
- Quiet Times2018.07.024 Smart Quiet Time Tips For the Easily Distracted