Where did the Day of Thanksgiving come from?
Most people connect it with Turkey Day or football. They have little or no understanding of the origin and the significance of Thanksgiving Day.
The churches in England went through some dramatic changes in the 16thand 17th centuries. Henry VIII came to the throne of England in 1509. He severely attacked the writings on Martin Luther earning him the title, “Defender of the Faith,” from the Pope.
However, twenty-four years later he lost favor with the Pope, by divorcing his wife, Catherine and marrying Anne Boleyn. The outcome of this conflict was King Henry VIII declaring England’s separation from the Roman Catholic Church and the establishment of the Church of England.
Edward VI became King of England following the death of his father, Henry VIII. However, he only lived six years and in 1553, Mary Tudor, the only child between Henry VIII and his first wife Catherine became queen. She was “Roman Catholic to the core,” as Earle Cairns said, in his book Christianity Through the Centuries.
Five years later Elizabeth, the daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, came to the throne. Because she was born in a marriage by divorce she could not be a member of the Roman Church. She restored much of the Church of England but also maintained much of the Roman tradition and practices. This gave rise to the Puritan Movement which sought to restore:
- Final Authority of the Holy Scriptures
- Jesus Christ is the head of the Church not the Monarch
- A child of God is in covenant with God through new birth and they make covenant with other members of the family of God and not the State.
- Bishops should be spiritual leaders only and not political leaders.
- Local congregations should manage their affairs, select their pastors and establish policies.
- In 1560 when the Geneva Bible was published, it became the accepted Bible of the Puritans.
You can read all of Dr. Hackett’s articles here.F. Dean Hackett has served in full time Christian ministry since October 1971. He has ministered through out the United States, Canada and Eastern Europe, serving as an evangelist, pastor, and conference speaker. He has planted four churches and assisted in the planting of many others and is known for training many workers who are presently in full time ministry as pastors and missionaries. He holds a Masters degree in Ministry, a Masters of Theology and a Ph.D. in theological studies. His enthusiastic and challenging ministry has made him a popular teacher and conference speaker. He has written five books, Discovering Jesus, Uncovering the Jesus Life; The Joy of Becoming Like Jesus; The Joy of Becoming an Ambassador for Christ; Discovering True Identity; Mission Agape’. He began Spirit Life Ministries International in 2001 to facilitate and support outreach ministries in the USA, Croatia and other regions the world that open for ministry. He is the author of F Dean Hackett – Foundational. You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Rosilind, a Pacific Northwest native, is a missionary living in Croatia and married to her hero. Together they live in the country with their 2 active boys where she enjoys fruity candles and a hot cup of herbal tea on a blustery fall evening. She holds an Associates of Practical Theology and is passionate about discipling and encouraging women. Her passion for writing led her to author a number of books. She is the author of A Little R & R where she encourages women to find contentment in what God created them to be. She can also be found at these other places on a regular basis. You can follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google +.
- Christian Living2018.07.163 Reasons Why You Should Read the Bible Every Day
- War Room Resources2018.07.118 War Room Verses For When You Don’t Feel Good Enough
- Christian Living2018.07.046 Fundamental Things Christians Should Treasure
- Quiet Times2018.07.024 Smart Quiet Time Tips For the Easily Distracted